Regan's Books

Regan's Books
Reads From Regan Taylor

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Comfort of a Small Town

I've mentioned before I live in a city of 55,000 people but we are, still, very much a small town. We have some of the "city" type stuff happen, like a shooting this week at a local grocery store, and the big name banks and a few of the big name stores, but for the most part, we're still very much like your basic small town.

I used to bank with one of the big banks. They it started to buy up other banks and I became a number. So back in the late 90's I went to one of the local banks. Just one branch, here in town. They now have 6, but it's been slow, controlled growth. They know every customer by first name, remember the names of even my cats. They have coffee and fresh baked cookies at the entry every day and always a pleasant word.

I ran out of deposit tickets so I went in to see if I could get some blank ones. I'd heard that the big name bank across the street charges for even blank ones; we won't get into printing out extra checks. So I asked for a couple of blank ones and the teller didn't just hand over a few; she printed up 20 with my name and account information -- free of charge. It's a small thing, but it's part of what makes living in a city that retains it's small town feeling, that makes it a really great place to live. I wouldn't trade my "small town" for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment